Saturday, January 10, 2009

Lucky for Whom?: A Memoir

Lucky for Whom?: A Memoir

By: Phyllis Nash

In the 1940s, dyed rabbits’ feet key chains of many colors were advertised in magazines and stores. They were said to be LUCKY. To me, trying to be fashionable, the dyed green ones were a smart choice. I bought one.
Some time later, my late son may have found my rabbit foot and any event wrote an essay about these items for the Catholic high school he attended. “How would you like for your foot to be cut off?” he wrote. I’m not sure how the rabbit feet were obtained. But in retrospect, I’d prefer to believe the feet were removed after the rabbits were killed and sold for meat. It may not have been the case.
I think with animal rights advocacy groups developing, and Doris Day, a 50s movie star, who won awards as an animal kindness advocate, speaking out, rabbits’ feet key chains were not cool any more! My eyes were opened for sure!

No comments: